Monday 7 March 2011

Team Challenge - Day 5 Going Ballistic

Short video of the cannon articulating.


Watch on YouTube

*additional*

Burst fire rate, cannon audio and bullet update in place. Debug output shows I'm hitting objects but as yet no visuals. Tomorrow I'll add the muzzle flash and some bullet object visual. It's easy to impart the force of the round to an object, so I look forward to adding lots of oil drums into the test area tomorrow.

We might actually pull off this challenge. Still missing fire and an entity damage system.

Little happy dance.

*end of additional*

Arming systems are done. The TrackIR head-motion sensor updates the cannon and pilot night vision orientation. We took time out to fix up the oil dampener rods and ammo belt feed that go from the rotating turret into the elevating gun barrel assembly. The rods and ammo belt extend with gun depression.

Looking left and down - near full depression
push rods extended

Looking right and down

It's possible to stick the gun into the dirt when landing. Remember to de-action the gun, or turn off the ARM switch. When sat on the ground the squat switch imposes movement limits to prevent damage.

Operation Longshot/Commence Fire/GreenHorn

A lot of fun making up stupid names for the new training scenario. We do however have a new training camp to fly missions out of. As of yet unnamed.


Could use some ageing and maybe an alternative pad that just has some parking spaces marked. All a wip of course.

Currently working on a gravity only model for ballistics.

10 comments:

  1. Operation Money Shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you've been up thinking again :)

    I had an early night for a change but woke really early. Can't stop thinking. There's different ways of implementing gun fire, feeling paralysed by the choice. This is one of those times I wish we could all gather and discuss things in front of a whiteboard.

    What I'm going to do is add the M230 to the Stores class and update each round in there. Keep it simple for now. Its the class that records the current burst round setting, duration and weapon selection. I'm just worried that it's not a good OOP implementation but may be slightly more efficient. My brain hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Its been a while, when I visited Your site for the last time and WOW!!! Amazaing progression! It looks really great! That firing range idea is cool. I also like the terrain. Hmmm....honestly I like everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flexman do not give up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow, fantastic video:) smoothness of movement and detail parts, great stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Azeroth indeed :)

    I was tempted to call the base "Camp David" but I don't think it would be appreciated.

    I think it's called a "Stagefield" (I hadn't heard of the term till today). You could land a C130 at this place so it's more of an airfield.

    A long time ago I tried to model Fort Rucker but it's huge. I mean huge. Find it on Google Earth and take a look at the parking facilities alone.

    Looking at the firing range I confess I have a hankering to add an M1A1 as a drivable vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, put the M1A1 in, put Cyclic in it and let me shoot the crap out of him please. Its about time I shot him up in smoke instead of the other way around.

    Joking aside, progress looks great. You could just model the West Side of the Fort Hood, TX airfield. It's also a U.S. Apache training station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool feature video :)

    ReplyDelete