Friday 11 March 2011

Happy Birthday ZX-81 (30 years old)

For many young people it was their first computer and moulded a generation of computer geeks. I recall selling all my CB Radio gear to buy one which lead to my 30 year long affinity with computers.

1 kilobyte of RAM as standard. A tokenised BASIC programming language and available in kit form. It took a whole evening to solder all the bloody resistors into the board. Programs were save and loaded from cassette tape.



As recognition of the origins of home computing and game development in the UK our studios logo was derived from the block graphic characters available from the keyboard.



Advertisements (shown below) for the kit and pre-built versions promised delivery within 28 days. As with many Sinclair products, the shipping times might as well have said, "two weeks". Interesting to note the thermal printer, (I still own one of these with a couple of rolls of aluminium thermal paper, quite rare). The printer made quite an interesting smell during use as it's twin heads (metal contacts) burned the surface of the metal paper.


Happy Birthday Zed Ex. And I thank you.



The "Very Big Cave Adventure" for the Sinclair ZX-81.

10 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N,S,E,W)?"
20 INPUT A$
30 GO TO 10

5 comments:

  1. That adventure game is awesome! Re-playability at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ex CB radio user, or misunderstood? :) I'm in the 90s for several years I was active user, I had a 11 meter antenna,and radio Onwa, alan 18, and at the end president jackson;)
    if it comes to computers will never forget fort apocalypse on commodore 64, the best first simulator;)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1A-BNafyDk

    ReplyDelete
  3. CB Radio, 27Mhz. Equipment regs in the UK were pretty harsh back in 1981. 4watt max TX, 1.5m max antenna length, but you could get an excellent SWR with an old metal cake tin and some speaker wire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in 1981? That you were a pioneer;)
    I started 10 years later, in my country it was previously impossible.This was my antenna, hand-made, the entire length cb of 11 meters

    http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html
    beautiful times
    when it was the era of Internet this has no longer make sense
    Ok end of topic;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. all my young years :)

    it wasn't my 1st one, an Amstrad 464, but it's the same era :)

    ReplyDelete