Tuesday 20 April 2010

XML Database lookups

I needed to add some on-the-fly lookups for data stored in XML databases without having them gobbling up memory. Most games of this type had a vehicle and weapon database, usually with a rotating 3D model or picture of the object. Using the TxmlTextReader function with a cache works fine. Only need to do the lookup once when examining an object.

All weapons come with suitable entries by entering the ground crew mode from proximity to any Apache helicopter. We can re-use this for tutorial pop-ups, optionally adding a tag to the XML entry that points to an audio file thus triggering  playback. If that makes any sense.

I mention it here as it just occurred to me and don't want to forget it.

4 comments:

  1. When You work on such a precise interface, do You also plan to implement some knee-pad or something to let players have access to some important info on missions or keyboard shortcuts etc. during flight? I mean something like Falcon. I understand, that it means to have pilots bodies modeled, but maybe only like popping window. I know I ask questions about very detailed things and there is still a lot to be done. Just curious. Sorry for my english.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a popup map which will have your currently assigned mission waypoints and briefing text. CTRL-M is the default mapping. Will work on ground on in flight.

    It's just a popup window, not a kneeboard. Simple and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the link to your blog from www.hovercontrol.com. Let me tell you this: I am impressed. Speechless. EAGERLY waiting to try it out. Great job! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Flex for quick reply as always. Gonna be great.

    ReplyDelete