Saturday 24 April 2010

Third Person Cam - don't laugh

I'm in the process of adding the weapon systems; avionics and links to the stores. While that's coming along at a steady pace I often come across a bit of code and think "I could quickly do this..."

So I quickly added the third-person cam; as we don't yet have any character models I'm having to use this laughable code generated  place-holder. Who was it painted matchstick men?

Character height is 1.8m. The shape approximates the size of the character controller. Had to add a little work-around to the GUI menu system which also uses the mouse-wheel for menu navigation.

We're going to require a rigged humanoid with a number of animations for sitting, prone, kneeling, aiming, running, walking, waving etc. We have a list on animations somewhere, I'll try and dig it out. There are some nice models available for around $120 that are of the correct dress and close the the desired poly count. Speaking of models...

This is "Marshall" from BBi collectibles range (now discontinued). He's a great model, but the wrong sort :)

I wish my Action Man (GI Joe) was more like this guy. I'm kicking myself for not buying one of these when I saw it on sale at Travelling Man in Leeds years ago, they are now rare and hard to find items.

But I do have an original Tom Baker Doctor Who (with hat and scarf - no box though). I only saw one other and that was on the desk of the lead artist at Microprose Leeds (formerly Vector Graphix) and now home of Rockstar North I think. I digress.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen women with less curves than your placeholder :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I sent you an email via simHQ. We may be able to talk animations, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mathhew, I'll check me messages again. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting post and I didn't laugh. :) Helicopter flight simulation can be very fun and challenging at the same time. It gives the user the chance to experience the excitement of what it would be like to fly a real airplane or helicopter. Flight simulators are even used to train pilots. PC flight simulation is a great form of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete