Sunday 13 June 2010

Blade flapping and hinging

Making notes on discussions of blade flapping.

Definite gravy but easy to add. Currently blade flexing is done via blended animation controlled by the simulation sending key values to the model. The CH-47 has quite a large blade system (almost doubling the length of the helicopter to 100 feet) and low ground clearance.

Most of the droop comes from the flapping hinge Dave  has indicated in white (adjoining the red highlights). These pivots allow the blade to horizontally move upward when the blade is advancing, and down when retreating.

Additionally the blade model hierarchy to allow for visible blade pitching and the Apache blades retro-fitted to do the same.

9 comments:

  1. Wow....its great, that You also simulate the blades pitching. I must say it again....CANT WAIT! :-) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing....I like the blog interface changes. That banner is nice. I also look forward the day, when You will make something I dislike. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like the new look. Seemed to be in keeping with the games colour palette.

    I'm currently building the LUA script for the above CH47. I really don't like LUA all that much, it's not a strongly typed language and easy to make mistakes with. Debugging it can be a royal pain. But it's good enough for simple things.

    Dave suggested we add the blade pitching and originally I wanted to have a fully articulated rotor head but that seemed like a lot of detail for not much return. But flapping and pitching has a good time vs reward ratio.

    Might be worth keeping that "blade cam" in after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to add that Dave has done a fantastic job on the model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job, indeed. Love the curves nad textures. Its gonna by lovely in motion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its living in Yorkshire that does it. The affinity with gravy that is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just off to get some sleep. And it really does look lovely in motion.

    "Now then, just off to put a ferrit down me kegs."

    For the record, I don't know anyone how owns Ferrets nor do I possess trousers. One of those is a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Compo, leave the ferrets alone and post a quick youtube video.

    Apache and Chinook formation take-off and transit would be nice. No rush anytime in the next 2 hours is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, you know, the YouTube video is not a bad idea if I wasn't so busy. But I've got to implement the AI pilot stuff before there's much intelligent taking off and formation flying.

    I'm finishing up the first sounds and maybe later in the week I'll put up a short video like the ZU23 kiddy-go-round ride.

    ReplyDelete