Monday 11 October 2010

Improving HUD readability

HUDs often used in simulators adopt a green hue and use an additive or alpha blend. It can be hard to read them in some conditions and this is something I was thinking about so I tried a few experiments, non of which I like fully.

First: To improving readability of heads up displays by down-sampling the HUD buffer to a smaller buffer (I called the hud_fx_buffer) with a texture filter, a poor-mans blur. Using the resulting 'fuzzy' version to reduce the intensity level of the background image.

Has potential, reduce the resolution of the hud_fx_buffer too much and you get a darkend 'strobe' effect around the symbology which is akin to what you see on video tapes. It think with a Gaussian blur effect and a higher res buffer it might be a winner.


Second experiment, the ubiquitous drop-shadow.


Yuck. Looks like a drop-shadow. It's the same down-sampled hud buffer with a small offset. It works though, can clearly see the symbology against the lighter parts of the horizon without resorting to 'orange' or black.

The hud 'clarity' will remain a user option, off by default.

*update*

One last toy, a twinkly hud glow. This is actually quite pretty in motion and again reminded me of some old HUD tape footage shot in old Jaguar aircraft.


Good for simulating what it's like to have certain eye-conditions. Another one for the cutting-room floor.

Finally, below we have hud glow mk2,  a more subtle variation which is just a glow applied, mipmaps help soften out the hud image.




Bank angle tweak
Green-hue drop-shadow with glow
Green drop-shadow with glow (max intensity)
Green drop-shadow no glow (good for projectors)


9 comments:

  1. in real life are pilots limited to the green HUD text or they can change colors? When you said blur background image, is this the post processing effect? or you were just experimenting?

    off topic: seems that things are coming together pretty quick and neat, are you considering beta pre-purchase? or you're far away from finishing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glow mk2 is the best solution for me. Looks great and I it also reminds me of video footages of HUDs in real aircraft. Looks great. I love these little details. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just experiments, nothing I blog should be taken as added to the final game unless stated otherwise.

    It's a post process effect, taking the already rendered HUD and manipulating it in different ways to see if it's nicer in various lighting conditions. The glow effect (I toned it down considerably from the above) seems to be a keeper .

    It wasn't a complete waste of a day, it helped me spot a mistake in the symbology math, now corrected and I've altered the bank-angle symbology so that the major/minor ticks vary across the inner-radius instead of the outer. Also added some additional markers.

    Generally I take things from other games that I think could be improved an try them. Often I don't have the technical know-how to achieve everything I'd like to do but flag it as something to work on in a later release.

    A beta-release is something I considered via a
    VIP membership system. Recently this idea came-up again but no firm plans yet. We've got a couple of milestones to hit first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drop shadow gets my vote. Easy to read. I think Pavels preference would give me eye strain after a while. IRL HUDs are focused at infinity whereas our monitors are fixed focal length. Maybe its just my tired eyes.

    If you get chance, try the drop shadow with a darker green colour rather than black/grey. It might give it some substance without detracting from the realism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's that? See last screen-shot edit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And don't forget us the color-blind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll have to tell me, I'm just partially dyslexic and deaf according to my wife. I can add the HUD colour alongside the HUD fx settings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats perfect. Crisp and easy to read. Glow makes it look out of focus to me which only adds to my already bad focusing. Nice screenies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yup glow looks nice when at night but not as good during day light. The shadows aren't that bad, it's not like you can clearly see them without almost coming in contact with the monitor.

    ReplyDelete