Friday 11 February 2011

Axis Display

As a follow-up to yesterdays blog post just a screen-shot of the axis pop-up I'm using for debugging.

The cross-platform Freejoy library lacks the means to get the OEM string of the device so it required adding a Win32 call to find some registry info or our auto input mapping wouldn't work correctly (since we use this to identify devices).

This should work in most cases however someone may have more than one of the same device. For example a homebrew input device based on a Leo Bodnar USB board. For this there's a port override setting. See I think of everything....almost. I'm sure some of you guys will find a way to break it. *mumble*

As we're not using DirectInput, some axis might be unavailable on some devices. The Windows Multi-Media layer only supports 8 axis and even then the device drivers don't make those available on this layer, the Saitek X65F rotary "F" for example. Nothing I can do about that, it's a matter for the manufacturer and Saitek doesn't answer my emails.


Test Drive Unlimited 2

The new TDU2 from Eden Games published by Atari arrived today. Rather pleased to see they have allowed a bit more freedom to roam around your surroundings on foot. It's quite simple the way it's been done, much simpler than my approach for Combat-Helo, so much so I'm considering dropping such a detailed on foot approach in favour of this. I'm often saying less is more and it would save a chunk of work EXCEPT that I still need the 3rd person animations for AI mobs.

But were a lot a good game ideas in the first TDU, I'm not clear how much Eden Games wanted to exploit them as they seem to have gone in a slightly different direction here. But I've not had much hands on time with the game yet.

Animation

I found my 3D SpaceNavigator mouse and loaded up some assets in MAX only to discover I need to update my exporters. I'm using LE 2.41which changed a little since last time I had to use MAX LE exports. Time to dig out my Blue Book and update the art pipeline notes.

It was funny getting a Twit from 3DConnection (manufacturers of the SpaceNavigator) today. I appreciated that chaps.

 http://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/products/spacenavigator.html

And it does look like it's right out of TRON Legacy. What do you think?


A TRON themed paperweight?
No, a cool 3D mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment